Sunday, September 16, 2007

I clearly have no "spiritual skills"...

I suppose it's no surprise, really. I never exactly considered myself a spiritual person, aside from a couple of years in my life when I thought I was in training to be a guardian angel. (what? it's not that crazy!)
Let's take a look at the individual traits indicative of spirituality, and see how I score..
a deep-seated sense of meaning and purpose in life -- NO
sense of belonging -- NO
acceptance -- NO
integration -- NO
wholeness -- not sure exactly what's meant by this one, so I can't say.
being self-reflective and honest -- I'd like to consider myself both, so one up for me:D -- YES
being able to remain focused in the present -- ummm... sure... as long as by present you mean my life time... but basically... NO
alert -- NO
unhurried -- YES! (who woulda thought I could get kudos for procrastination)
attentive -- I suppose I'm attentive to somethings... I'll give that a MAYBE
being able to rest and relax -- YES! I can sleep all day long! (and sometimes do)
developing greater empathy for others -- NO... oddly, my empathy for others seems to be decreasing as the years go by.
finding courage to witness and endure distress while sustaining an attitude of hope -- well life has taught me that I have the courage to witness and endure many, many distressful things... but while sustaining an attitude of hope??? Hardly! NO
improved discernment -- in general, maybe... in regards to their example... NO... I tend to speak when I should remain quiet, and remain quiet when I should speak.
clipped from www.rcpsych.ac.uk
Spirituality involves a dimension of human
experience that psychiatrists are increasingly interested in,
because of its potential benefits to mental health.
It is not necessary to hold formal religious
beliefs, or engage in religious practices, or belong to an
established faith tradition, to experience the spiritual
dimension.
spirituality is identified with
experiencing a deep-seated sense of meaning and purpose in life,
together with a sense of belonging. It is about acceptance,
integration and wholeness.

Spiritual skills include:


  • being self-reflective and honest;

  • being able to remain focused in the present,
    remaining alert, unhurried and attentive;

  • being able to rest, relax and create a still,
    peaceful state of mind;

  • developing greater empathy for others;

  • finding courage to witness and endure
    distress while sustaining an attitude of hope;

  • developing improved discernment, for example
    about when to speak or act and when to remain silent;
blog it

No comments: