Thursday, June 29, 2006

Quitting Smoking?

The doctor has placed me on Wellbutrin XL. Wellbutrin is the marketing name for the anti-depressant bupropion, which is also marketed as a quit smoking aid under the name of Zyban. The exact reason for the doctor prescribing this for me is unclear. She said it would help with my depression AND help me to quit smoking. We had discussed my mood, as I was seeing her about getting my Zoloft prescription refilled. And we had also discussed my cutting down smoking (as we do everytime I go to see her). When she left to get my Zoloft script, she came back with a script for the Wellbutrin, too. So... I just started on the Wellbutrin this morning. I will be taking one 150 mg Wellbutrin tablet every morning, and I will also continue to take 200 mg daily of Zoloft, but I will now be taking the Zoloft at night rather than in the morning. So far, I notice nothing from the Wellbutrin-- neither a lift in my mood nor a reduction in my cravings for cigarettes. But it is only my first day, so we'll see how it works out as it continues to build up in my body over the course of the next month or so.

No comments: