Thursday, August 26, 2004

It's 1 o'clock... Do You Know Where Your Possums Are?

I'm tired, I'm hungry and my place is a mess. I could be eating, sleeping or cleaning, but instead I've been stumbling. Ha... funny, when I was typing that sentence, instead of 'sleeping or cleaning', I almost typed 'drinking or smoking'. My brain's not quite working well right now, as it is almost 1 a.m.

I had three possums outside my door earlier. It got quite warm today, and then we got a bit of a storm, which cooled things off a bit. So after the storm died down I opened my door to help cool down my apartment. Within five minutes of opening my door, a possum emerged from the left. I clapped my hands and it looked at me that turned around and went back towards the yard. A few minutes later I heard a noise outside, and I looked and saw a possum coming from the right this time. It ran right past my door towards the backyard, and following it was yet another possum. Looked like the one was chasing the other. It was kinda cute, actually. My cat didn't think so. She sat right up in her bed and just stared out the door for about a half an hour before she finally decided her 'cave'(that is, my home) was not about to be taken over by a whole pack of ugly looking North American marsupials.
I'm sure 'pack' isn't the correct word to describe a group of possoms. I wonder what term is used? Think I'll look that up on the net right now. Oh good... something else to do besides eat, sleep or clean.

UPDATE: I'm still hungry and tired and my place is still a mess. I have however learned an awful lot about possums. Unfortunately, one of the things I've learned is not what you call a group of them.
The Virginia Opossum is a solitary animal, and does not congregate. One website stated if you see a group of them, it's probably a mother and her children. The children were referred to as joeys, like their distant marsupial cousins, the kangaroo. And since a group of kangaroos is known as either a mob or a troop, I'm going to refer to a group of possums as a mob... or a troop.
I'm also going to make appoint of only referring to Virginia Opossums as 'possums', and never as 'opossums', which is what they are.
Aparently there's another species native to Australasia which is correctly referred to as simply possum... named by Captain Cook for their similarity to the Opossums he encountered in South America. That is... named opossum. And apparently some australians still refer to the Australasian possum as 'opossum'.
Very little was mentioned on the web that we in the U.S...atleast in my section of the U.S... often refer to the Virginia opossum as simply possum. I first searched for opossum, knowing that's it's correct name. And then when I didn't find what I was looking for (yeah...you remember... what to call a group of them thar varmits), I then did a search for possums. Almost all of my search results were referring to the Australasian possum, with a couple of results referring to the Virginia opossum as 'possum (note the initial apostrophe denoting a letter is being left out.) There was one result-- a usenet post-- that did refer to opossums as simply possums. Well I'll have you know, that I grew up calling them simply possums. I didn't even know until I was an adult that they were actually called opossums. And for the sake of keeping my native dialect alive, I hearby refuse to refer to them as 'opossums'. From now on, it's stictly 'possum' to me.

No comments: