Monday, August 30, 2004

Job Search--Day 1


Started out my day waking up at 8:30. Immediately got online to check job listings. Covered Michigan Talent Bank, America's Job Bank, and Career Builder. Took Break at 10:30.

Resumed job search at 1:00. Have done a more thorough covering of the Michigan Talent Bank, adding 40 jobs to my cart. Must still go through and review them and weed them down. So far Quality Dairy is looking like my best bet. Took break at 2:00.

Well, my 2 o'clock break turned into a brief conversation with Channy, followed by a 2-3 hour nap. And since waking up I've been catching up on Joker's Updates. Which means that so far today I've only spent about 3 hours total job hunting. But the night's not over! I can still continue my internet job search, and will probably do so after I eat.
Tomorrow I plan on actually doing some foot-work in the job search process. Will catch the bus downtown and start there looking for places hiring. Actually, I'll probably start with the job listings in the newspaper at the library, and then I'll beat the pavement at local businesses.
One of the main things standing in my way so far as I can see is my wardrobe. I really don't have much of a 'job hunting' wardrobe, much less an actual working wardrobe. And it doesn't matter what kind of a job I get, I have next to no clothes! And what I do have are thread bare!
Another thing that concerns me about my job search is my sparse work history... including the past four years where I haven't worked at all. But I can't give up hope that somebody, someplace would like to hire me.

Continued online job search from 8:30pm-11:30pm, making my total job search time today 6 hours. Not bad... for a lazy ass like myself.
I narrowed the jobs in MTB's cart down from 41 to 14. Saved some jobs on Career Builder and AJB, and did skills and outlook assesment at CareerOneStop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds brutal. I've been looking for three months and didn't even get a reply to my resume till this week. Maybe its the holidays (ie, the gatekeepers are out of the office) or this marketing job ebook I downloaded with tips to make your resume stand out. I've got my fingers crossed. Nice blog, BTW.